- Stepped in a self-help book
- Starting over–how hard could it be
- The worst things about running in the cold, in alphabetical order
From Chinese word of the day:
- Campbell, Dennis, John Case, and Bill Fotsch. “More than a Paycheck: How to Create Good Blue-Collar Jobs in the Knowledge Economy.” Harvard Business Review 96, no. 1 (January–February 2018): 118–124.
- Elena Popina, “The Stock Market Never Goes Down Anymore“, Bloomberg Markets, 12 January 2018
- Bence Nanay, “‘Know thyself’ is not just silly advice: it’s actively dangerous“, Aeon, 16 October 2017
- Quoidbach, Jordi, Daniel T. Gilbert, and Timothy D. Wilson. “The End of History Illusion“. Science 339 (2013): 96.
- “Recommended Books, Films, and Music in Los Cabos and Baja California“, Frommers
- Patrick Klepek, “One Player’s 21,000 Hole Quest to Beat the Seemingly Endless ‘Desert Golf’“, Waypoint, 8 January 2018 – fascinating, I went out and got the game after reading the article, and now my free time is a wreck
- [ongoing] Gary Klein, Streetlights and Shadows: Searching for the Keys to Adaptive Decision Making (2011) (notes)
- 慢速中文 (Slow Chinese): #197: 出轨和出柜 – just in case you don’t want to confuse the words for coming out as gay and having an affair, which sound similar
- Side Hustle School: “Immigrant Couple Translates Heritage into Children’s Flash Cards“, 3 January 2018
- The Partially Examined Life: “Episode 173: Relating to American Indian Philosophy (Part One)“, 2 October 2017
- 色，戒 (Lust, Caution), directed by Ang Lee
鳄梨豆腐 (silken tofu with avocado) and 豆豉鸡丁 (black bean chicken) are both an exercise from Fuchsia Dunlop’s Every Grain of Rice. 小七 is a cat and he’s not supposed to be on the table.
- 16 Jan: Venture Cafe 39N, Danforth Plant Science Center